Making Strides, a leader in exercise physiology and physical therapies
for individuals with spinal cord injuries, began as a venture between friends and
colleagues in the industry. While the bond between founders was strong, the
business faced unique challenges that demanded structure, communication, and
Operating a business with friends presents distinct challenges for Making Strides:
- Governance and Communication: The founders needed a structured
governance framework to maintain open lines of communication and ensure
equitable roles and remuneration.
- Strategic Direction: Clarifying the strategic direction of the business was
essential for growth and long-term success.
- Financial Management: With a fast-growing business, keeping up with
bookkeeping and tax due dates caused stress.
Watson & Watt provided comprehensive accounting, tax, and business consulting services to help Making Strides:
Accounting & Tax
We manage BAS, Fringe Benefits Tax, income tax, and financial statements. We simplified their bookkeeping process and took over lodgement obligations.
Our strategic tax planning ensured optimal tax and cash flow management.
We conduct monthly Director Meetings, provide ad hoc advisory services, developed cash flow forecasts, and conducted planning for various scenarios.
The impact of our partnership has helped Making Strides get where it is today;
- Milestone Achievement: Making Strides celebrated its 10-year anniversary,
a testament to their sustained success.
- Expansion: They opened a second location, extending their reach and
impact and have people across the globe travelling to train with them.
- World-Leading Clinical Trials: Making Strides became the rehab partner for
a world-leading clinical trial in spinal injury treatment.
- Improved Dynamics: With open communication, aligned core values, clear
strategic direction, and clear roles and responsibilities the leadership team is
stronger and more cohesive.
- Financial Peace: Making Strides operates with confidence, knowing
deadlines will be met, and financials, tax and cash are in order.